Friday, March 23, 2012

Shy Kitties at the shelter- Intervention update

A month ago I wrote about 3 very scared kitties at the shelter who had very little chance of being adopted because they would hide when people came in to select a cat. To refresh your memory:
Dede:


Millie:

Bella:

 Well I am ecstatic to report that after a month of intervention both Dede and Millie have found their forever homes and Bella is out of her igloo (where she was hiding) and greeting people as they come in. I am sure she will be adopted now that she has some basic trust of human hands. I have not felt so gratified in a long time. I actually wept with joy when I showed up to work with Dede yesterday and learned that she had gone home. Good stuff man!

2 comments:

  1. When we we there last, Bella tried to bite me when I tried to get her to come see me...glad she is doing better.. maybe a visit to the shelter is due again???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella was in sad shape when she first arrived. She was very afraid and defensive. Today she is the kitty who has been at the shelter the longest. She has made great strides in trusting humans and even came out to greet me for pets and treats today. She will need an owner who can understand what trauma can do to a cat's personality, and will not punish her when she reacts defensively. Any form of punishment with this kitty will re-traumatize her and undermine the trust she is beginning to feel for humans thanks to the caring staff and volunteers.

    ReplyDelete