Thursday, January 5, 2012

A special baby kitty for a special young man-right on time

When our rescue kitty, Bella, surprised us with kittens there were five total. The first three came quickly, and the last two many hours later. Number four was still born and had a deformed face. Number five was tiny but seemed ok. She was clearly the runt, and had some trouble finding mama's nipple.  Before her eyes were open I would find her lost and away from the others at  times. She was also the first kitten to be rejected by Bella when It came time to ween her kittens.

 We found adoptive homes for number one and two, but I knew I was in trouble when we named the remaining two kitties. One was my favorite, a cute little  calico girl who I named Patchouli. The other, much smaller kitten was named Daisy by my Down's syndrome son Lewis. Daisy is a tortoise shell calico and she loves to be held. If fact, it seemed like she would prefer to be held by Lewis over being with her mother. There was an almost instant bond between  Lewis and little Daisy.  She seemed a bit slow compared to Patchouli but she was my son's favorite. There was no way we could give up daisy or Patchouli.


Over the next two years, I was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time, and then a third occurrence. My son watched his mother, the only parent he has, wither  and weaken. He watched me loose my hair, and be as sick as a person can be. He wanted to help and would often make my bed and tenderly place books on it  for me to find. He also started taking responsibility for caring for the kitties. I was proud of him for stepping up, and was very grateful to have him there the help.

Many nights I would hear Lewis talking to Daisy in his room. He would talk about his worries, and tell her how much he loved her. He would  hold  her like she was a baby. She, all the while, purring and blinking sleepily. I often wondered how Lewis would have coped with my  illness if he did not have Daisy to love, hold and talk to. Not to mention the hours of laughter both the kittens have given us with their crazy cat antics.  Looking back, I realize that Bella brought in a very special gift by coming in pregnant. My good deed of taking her in was repaid by the gift of a cuddle friend for my son at a time when he needed it.

1 comment: