Friday, January 13, 2012

Walking Scotties

Recently my son and I were invited by my best friend, Teresa, to go for a walk with her and her 3 dogs. She has a pair of twin Scotties and a black spaniel. One Scottie is black and one is blond. The black one is know to be the easiest to manage on a leash so she was given to my Down's son for the walk. The spaniel is the most insecure of the group and also the most demanding. She can be very difficult to walk. About half way through our walk, my son volunteered to give a try to the spaniel as she was pulling and giving my friend a very hard time. Interesting, as soon as my son was handed the leash, the spaniel was a perfect angel.

My friend had become annoyed with her, and I am sure that she was picking up and reacting to that energy. My son, being the calmest most loving person I know, seemed to calm the little spaniel right down. It has been a few days now since the walk and my son is still talking about how much he loves that spaniel. They seemed to connect.

Starting in a few weeks my son and I will be volunteering at one of the local animal shelters. One of the things that will be an option for us is walking dogs on a trail they have out in back of the facility.
What a difference this will make in the lives of the dogs who are confined. Just another example of how Downsy dude is making this world a better one.

Thank you Teresa for the practice walk, it was lovely and affirming.

No comments:

Post a Comment