Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cat courage

Volunteering at the shelter returns my efforts ten fold with adorable moments of animal behavior that I am privileged to witness. Today I arrived to find two new kitties, hiding behind one of the play structures. They are 4 1/2 year old litter mates and almost identical twins. Both raised in the same home by the same owner. Yet It was very clear that Della and Rock each  had a unique role in their relationship.

I knelt on the floor next to where they were hiding. They were backed into a corner each one looking in a different direction as if playing sentry duty. I approached Della first as she seemed to be the less frightened of the pair. I am never certain about whether my approach will be welcomed or  not so I always offer the back of my hand for a sniff first. Della allowed me to touch her, and within a few minutes she was accepting pets and chin rubs, all be it, still in the hiding place. She could not be coaxed out.

After a bit I moved the play structure just enough to be able to see Rock's face. The poor guy looked so rattled. as I offered the back of my hand for a sniff it spooked him and jetted under his sister for comfort. He crawled right under her and she allowed it, calmly. His face was buried in her tummy. Not being one to give up on a cat, I offered my hand again to Della who gave me a knowing look and a head butt, then began to purr. I continued petting her for a few minutes hoping that Rock would get a sense that it was OK, and that I was a safe person. The side of Rock's cheek was exposed and I gently rubbed it and cooed his name. Next I had his eyes, then much to my surprise, he bolted under me, just like he had done to his sister. So I stayed there, crouched, with him allowing me to give him comfort and pets for a good long time. Someone came in and he darted back behind the play structure, his sister followed and cuddled him like he was her kitten.

I have to say that was one of the cutest exchanges I have ever seen between two cats. Della clearly has more courage than Rock and she also knew exactly how to comfort him-Just adorable!

                                                                     Here is Della

Here is  Rock

Please choose adoption

No comments:

Post a Comment