Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I am a "lunatic", it's official!


Every Wednesday afternoon Lewis and I go to the local shelter and work with the "shy" cats to try and make them more adoptable. Recently because of one very shy kitty we have been going in twice a week. Oden was brought to the shelter on March first of this year and has spent months hiding behind his littler pan. He was clearly traumatized and very dispirited, to the point he was at first refusing food. He was on the top of every one's concern list. His only comfort was another little kitty named Mittens who was brought in 3 weeks before Oden and also very shy. Much to every one's surprise these two little trauma victims found one another and buddied up. They would curl up together and try to hide behind anything they could find. As time went by it was clear that  these two would do better in a separate cage away from the busy activity of the other cats. They were put in side by side cages with a pass through to each others cage.

Volunteers worked hours and hours to gain Oden's trust. Finally he learned to trust that hands of respectable humans. He would allow petting but still hid as soon as his cage door was shut. Last week Sunday I made a special trip in to the shelter to see Oden. After all, he and mittens had been there in cages  for nearly 4 months. I worried that time was running out. Oden had made great progress, sometimes eating while I had his cage door opening and on Sunday he did not hide when I left. I was able to view him through a window on my way out. I thought to myself " I wonder if my friends would think I am weird if I asked them to pray for a cat to find a home?" I thought, well I have never prayed for a cat, but I think I will try envisioning this kitty with a quiet loving home, that includes his best buddy Mittens.

A few days ago when the moon was full I went outside for my usual spiritual ritual. I use the full moon to remind me to pray for my hearts desire. As I stood there looking up at the moon I said " This one is for Oden and Mittens." What could it hurt to make a wish for them right? After all I have everything I need and time may be running out for these poor little kitties that nobody seems to want.

Well, today is Wednesday and I made my usual trek straight to Mitten's and Oden's cage only to find them empty! My heart leaped and then sank-I went to the desk to ask where they were, bracing myself for the worst. But much to my surprise I learned that someone had taken them in to foster them, both. I choked back tears and tried to  go find other kitties to work with but I ended up having to leave so I did not burst into tears in front of all of them and leave them to think I am a lunatic, no pun intended.

Here is Oden after much work on trust:



Here is Mittens:

Here is a cute little video the staff made that I think proved very helpful in getting these to long term cage cats, some much needed love and freedom.

http://www.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsYouTubeVideo.aspx?videoid=2trwlGJXxV8

So, now I will ask you to pray for these two- that all goes well and a  blessing to the person who took them in. May their good Karma be ten fold! And next time you see the moon, remember this story.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely incredible! I'm in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Benne, I can't stop crying about it either. Tears of joy and gratitude are so cleansing. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete